Re: data integration by mapping concept schemes

Hi Antoine,

I have thought about such a solution before, but I never got down to the
real code.
Thank you for these helpful code examples.

What you describe is kind of an "adapter" between different patterns of
referring to subsets of concepts.

Referring to subsets of concepts from everywhere is the most general use
case of SKOS.
Allmost nothing else matters here. I am not talking about ontology, just
about concept-based terminology to be referrenced by observation records
(Data Cubes).

Given this, SKOS (in real life, at large) requires such adapters to be
referenced, and referrers may find this rather awkward.

I did not vote so much for subclasses of skos:Concept as a possible
solution.
I did vote for a single recommended pattern for the reference, as this
would be helpful to support the most general use case.

When we talk about subclasses of skos:Concept as a possible
recommendation, I would start with adding a single statement:

skos:ConceptScheme rdfs:subClassOf owl:Thing .

Maybe this is even there - I did not check this. Anyway, the given
schema does make the most of such a statement.
This does not keep you from attaching all the domain specific properties
you have mentioned  to instances of this specific kind of thing.

Those instances need to be subclasses of skos:ConceptScheme, and all
local schemes all over the world need to be defined als subclasses of
skos:ConceptScheme.

By the statement above, the reasoner can infer this from the traditional
statement:

ex:myScheme a skos:ConceptScheme .

The class tree in this example.

owl:thing
  skos:ConceptScheme
    ex:myScheme

Then I would make skos:inScheme subProperty  of rdfs:type.

I think that we are allmost done ?

Adding something like this to the standard would cease any need for
adapters, just by a few statements in the schema.

May be a third opinion would be welcome?

Best regards,
Thomas

Best regards,
Thomas