Re: Fwd: [open-bibliography] Library of Congress subject headings & RDF

Ross -
[ I need to run another harvest, at  least for all  the newly created names.
  I need to check with LC to find the right time windows, as I recall that
the system goes offline at some point during the night, presumably for
backups.  There was also a system upgrade, which hopefully didn't reset all
the 001 values.  ]

 I've spent a fair amount of time working on this issue (the formal,
lexical, and cognitive semantics of pre-coordinated headings and
subdivisions are the core of my dissertation prospectus, especially as it
relates to inferring the underlying ontology for an intentional KOS  ).  A
lot of the official semantics are at best not well understood, or due to
canonical orderings, are ambiguous.

My general belief, which is amplified by the problems that show up in the
current MADS/RDF draft, is that using containers is not the best way to
capture all of the relationships that are contained within a co-ordinated
subject heading.

It also makes it hard to express some of the constraints that are required
for a heading to be meed the LC rules for a heading to be well formed.  Some
of these rules are closer to being syntactic than semantic (for example,
that geographical subdivisions be placed after the right-most geographically
subdivideable heading).

My belief is that a subdivided heading concept entails the existence of a
number of other, probably anonymous, concepts which conceptually subsume the
original concept.  For example, some intervening concepts have components
deleted; some components can be reordered, but all are necessarily broader
than the initial subdivided heading concept.

Also, to Thad;  I had a remarkably high hit rate at inferring $x or $v on
subject headings using the Stanford POS tagger trained on the LC corpus.   I
expect the results would be even better with parts of the fixed field
available, but if you've got the fixed field, you've probably got the
subfield codes (sigh)

Simon //  I still think that $v was a really bad idea.
p.s.
This message is firmly based on the Airlie House report, because my macbook
pro is a little toasty right now.