Re: Ordering concepts in a Tree display / possibly more than a sort key/ vs hierarchy code

Hi,
Hierarchy code and sort key should be viewed as different. My message probably
did not stress this sufficiently, sorry for that. This has also to do with what
we need in our local system
and what of that need to be exchanged through standards such as SKOS.

In classification management hierarchy code and sorting key work together and
fulfil different functions: we need a sort key to be able to sort entities on
the same hierarchy, we need hierarchy code to be able to manipulate hierarchy
levels on the interface or in exports. Everything in classification is a result
of a subdivision and hence everything belong to some facet and this facet
belongs to another facet -  collapsing or expanding of hierarchy on the screen
is paramount while the statement 'this is an array' or 'this is a facet' has
little meaning. This would be so for all complex system that contains numerous
coordinated and nested arrays facets and subfacets and subfacets of subfacets etc.

Last year at this list Antoine Isaac suggested that a readily extracted
hierarchy code which we may have in our management tools need not to be passed
through exchange of vocabulary as it can be easily generated from the existing
BT data - which is a valid point. Hence a hierarchy code should remain an issue
for system on a local level and can be exported as sql table for those needing
or implementing and cannot be bothered to generate their own hierarchy code.

On the other hand I have no doubt, that sortkey is important to export with SKOS
data and that people will create an extension for this.

regards

Aida