Re: FOAF spec revised - addtion of foaf:focus, a skos extension linking topical and factual information

Hi Alistair, I do not resist to hitchike in this galaxy:

Dan's original definition:
"foaf:focus links a skos:Concept to the thing that the concept stands for"

This link being defined within the namespace of the representation system of the destination, it means that a similar relation term may be useful for other applications than FOAF and that this relation term may represent the SKOS contribution in the RDF network.

So what "essence" SKOS brings to the representation of a person, of some thing? It does not "document", it does not "explain" (like OWL), it does not "link". For me, the SKOS concept provides the terminology to make the person or thing discoverable / identifiable by humans. It "names" (a very ambiguous term).
It also "orders" things in a BT/NT pyramid. Something not so agreable for the FOAFed humans!

Some proposals:
foaf:namesFor
foaf:termsFor
foaf:controlledTermsFor
foaf:thesaurusEntryFor
foaf:skosConceptFor
or skos:conceptFor ?

The proof has been done again that people exchange much more knowledge when they have the excuse of discussing terminology than when (serious) topics are put directly on the table: at the end we may have finalized the way we want to relate SKOS concepts to their alter ego in other representation systems...

Question: skos:conceptFor (reciprocal foaf:skosConcept) or skos:termsFor (reciprocal foaf:skosTerms) would not be easierFor:everybody?

Good evening!

Christophe