Re: [Fwd: Re: Serialization skos:Concept vs owl:Thing vs rdf..]

Hi Simon,

> Nevertheless, it does somewhat undermine the rationale for SKOS to
> convert an ontology into OWL terminology when it had been formalized
> using only RDF and SKOS.
> SKOS is intended to be a bridge for communities whose requirements do
> not require OWL.
> I'm currently trying to convince a couple of communities (GeoSciML, GML)
> that they should replace their bespoke vocabulary encodings with SKOS,
> since SKOS appears to satisfy almost all the requirements from those
> communities.
> The target audience comes from an XML/XSD background, so there is an
> initial challenge in getting over the RDF data-model humps (e.g. the
> fact that many serializations are fully equivalent).
> This would be easier if the tools did not all-of-a-sudden munge the
> resource types (even if the munging is correct according to RDF/OWL model).
> But perhaps I've just got to get over that.

Yes, you just cannot avoid that. Note that you can also try to turn this (very slightly) at your advantage : it really says that what is important in RDF is the abstract graph and what can be derived from the accompanying semantics, not the way it is serialized.

To come back to the initial problem of owl:Thing in the export, note that even in RDFS you could have an inferred triple that says that your concept is of type rdfs:Resource, and have a legitimate serialization rendering that.
As an improvement, Protégé/OWL could have an option for not exporting triples that are redundant with other triples, from the perspective of RDF and OWL semantics. Or, better, triples which involve classes and properties from a specific namespace. But I don't know if this is on the agenda.

[...]
> It does matter to some XSLT processing tools that we have developed, but
> I guess that points to the fact that SPARQL etc is the appropriate
> interface for processing RDF, not XSLT.

You perfectly got it!

Cheers,

Antoine