Re: [Dbpedia-discussion] Using DBpedia resources as skos:Concepts?

Bernard,

On 13 Nov 2009, at 14:24, Bernard Vatant wrote:
> If you confuse your concept A for the thing X and X itself, maybe
> you can
> live inside your system with this. No real conflict, just
> superposition of
> different "views" of the same referent, a direct and an indirect
> one. A bit
> weird, but no real formal inconsistency so far, if the respective
> ontologies
> you use don't forbid it by assertions such as skos:Concept
> owl:disjointWith
> foaf:Person.

Right. If I do this locally, there should be no harm.

> But if I confuse also my concept B with the same thing X, and
> a third party puts all that together out of context, it will merge A
> and B,
> and from there clear inconsistencies will appear, like two different
> valuse
> of creation date, or two different values of dcterms:publisher.

This argument holds against the use of owl:sameAs, but not against the
use of skos:closeMatch, which will not result in a "merge" of A and B;
it will only result in the conclusion that the "middle" resource X is
both a skos:Concept and a, say, foaf:Person.

> If the
> supporting ontology says that dcterms:publisher has max cardinality
> 1, the
> two publishers will be inferred to be the same, merging some of their
> attributes, and so on. That's what I meant, Richard, by "trigger a
> semantic
> collapse".

Again, does not apply to skos:closeMatch. Where is the "semantic
collapse" you predicted in that case?

> If all URIs are ambiguous as Pat holds it, and I tend to agree, and
> default
> general mechanisms able to resolve this ambiguity so far, we're
> better be
> cautious, given the current dumbness of our systems and keep the
> ambiguity
> as limited as possible. Which means, when you see clearly undesirable
> consequences of overloading, don't do it.

I fully agree with the sentence: When you see undesirable consequences
of overloading, don't do it. But I do not see those consequences for
the use of skos:closeMatch. Where are they?

Richard