From: public-esw-thes-request@w3.org [mailto:public-esw-thes-request@w3.org]
On Behalf Of Neubert Joachim
Sent: Monday, 12 January, 2009 21:02
To: Leonard Will; public-esw-thes@w3.org
Subject: AW: use-instead notes

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. For our application, I see two
crucial points:

- the note should provide the target concept as a data property "within" the
note (to support explicit linking, and to make use of the prefLabels of the
target concept, instead of a fixed literal string which may soon be
out-of-date)

- the note must be attached to the source concept (which is, for the special
case or aspect identified in the literal part of the note, the wrong one),
in order to guide the user to the right one. The user somehow came across
this "wrong" concept and needs the hint there - a property of the target
concept doesn't help, because there is a danger that the user may not look
at that one at all.

I see your point that this is a special case of a scope note. In my
understanding, it would have been perfectly legal to use skos:scopeNote with
a structured value as shown below. But my feeling was that it could be
helpful (for our own applications as well as for other users of the skos
representation of the thesaurus) to indicate that this notes do not only
have a special structure but also a special meaning, different from other
scope notes used in the thesaurus.

The more general sense, there are notes which are semi-structured - which
consist of a data property which links to another concept in combination
with some textual restrictions or explanations. (I have seen this pattern
also in classifications, with "see"/"use instead" as well as with "see also"
hints.) Often, because of the lack of tool support, simple textual scope
notes are used for this purpose - resulting in target terms which cannot be
validated and may not be valid any longer. Do you know if some treatment for
such semi-structured notes is an issue for ISO 25954?

Kind regards, Joachim

  _____