Unicity of prefLabel. Was: W3C SKOS Reference Last Call (3 days left in comment period)

Hi Magnus,

I have some difficulties with your proposal.

If SKOS is what I believe it is (a data structure to support
applications when linking users needs to computerized ressources), you need:
1) for the computer: precise identification (the unambiguous "about" of
each concept)
2) fot the user: a precise to choose the right concept.

The data must allow to build choices so the user can identify the
concept (s)he desires. If you have:
"Do you need:
 * football
 * football
 * football"
the user is nowhere.

With thesauri (which are term based, not concept based), it was usual to
add a disambiguation information between parenthesis. This is
straigthforward and clear:
* football (sport equipment)
* football (sport)
* football (social phenomenon)

If one wanted to automate the generation of disambiguation information,
it was also possible to use the scheme name: the PrefLabel had then to
be unique within a (micro-)thesaurus. This is approximatively what SKOS
proposes and it is not as good as "human written" disambiguated labels.

With your proposal, we may remain with nothing left: if the unicity rule
is relaxed, we need to describe a (simple?) mechanism to specify the
"user side" disambiguation data. From my point of view, we have to keep
the first "S" of "SKOS".

Further considerations about disambiguation:
* users tend to be limited in their ability of abstraction and in their
knowledge of specialized concepts.
* classification creators tend to use top concepts linked to readily
known needs, to existing scientific domains and bottom concepts rooted
in the "daily" reality of the practitionners. The problem is with middle
of the hierarchy where often lies "artificial" concepts created for
classification purposes.
* disambiguation must provide the user with something he can
discriminate (to choose a "football", you must know the difference
between "equipement", "sport" and "social phenomenon").
* Selecting disambiguation information is therefore more difficult than
it seems and I doubt perfection can be obtained automatically.

My suggestions:
* Keep the unicity rule for now;
* Transform the uniticy rule on prefLabel to unicity of
prefLabel+disambiguation information
* Design a way to automate disambiguation based on very simple rules
(for instance "SchemeLabel" or "TopConceptLabel" or "BroadInSchemeLabel")
* Provide "manual" ways to disambiguate:
    ** "contextLabel" to specify a piece of text to disambiguate an
ambiguous PrefLabel
    ** or a new semantical relation "uniqueUnder" which would link an
ambiguously labelled concept to one of its broader concepts well known
by most users

Have a nice day!

Christophe