Re: Dinamic hasTopConcept property

Juan, Thomas,

We've noted that "convention", because many times it is indeed the case that the declared top concepts and the one you could infer from your procedure will be the same.

But as Thomas noted, assigning top concepts is also an editorial issue. You might find yourself "infering top concepts" from concepts that have missing broader links, if the KOS is not perfectly maintained.
There are also many cases of KOSs where the very notion of top concept is almost useless. Consider vocabularies like LCSH: I don't remember the exact figure, but if you apply your procedure to it, you will obtain dozens of thousands of top concepts, which is pretty much useless for users. And in fact I guess the editors of the KOS would disagree with considering that what they have built over decades can be used for hierarchical browsing (at least, not for the one where you start from a top-level root). It was just not conceived like that.

So having your procedure available would make sense, especially if you are targetting a known set of well-structured vocabularies. But if you are to ingest many KOSs of various forms in your tool, be sure that you are not making the procedure mandatory, or that at least you can deal with the consequences of applying it, when it is not so useful.

Cheers,

Antoine