RE: [SKOS] ISSUE 77 and ISSUE-40: proposal for postcoordination

Here's a few thoughts on "post-coordination".

Following the strict view that "post-coordination" means combining concepts
at query time via "Boolean" operators, here are some examples of expressing
such queries via SPARQL [1].

# A query for X AND Y
BASE <http://example.com/ns/>
PREFIX dc: <http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/>
SELECT ?document
WHERE { ?document dc:subject <X>, <Y> }

# A query for X OR Y
BASE <http://example.com/ns/>
PREFIX dc: <http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/>
SELECT ?document
WHERE { { ?document dc:subject <X> } UNION { ?document dc:subject <Y> } }

# A query for X NOT Y
BASE <http://example.com/ns/>
PREFIX dc: <http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/>
SELECT ?document
WHERE {
  ?document dc:subject <X>
  OPTIONAL { ?document dc:subject ?y FILTER ( ?y = <Y> ) }
  FILTER ( !bound(?y) )
}

I'm not entirely sure about the last one (I haven't tried it), but the first
two should be OK.

Cheers,

Alistair.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-sparql-query/