Re: [SKOS] the return of transitive and subproperty (was Re: SKOS comment: change of namespace (ISSUE-117))

Hi Bernard,

Thanks for this contribution, which renews the debate

There are three problems which make me feel reluctant towards it:

1: even if you try to hide it under the carpet by changing the naming
policy, there will still be people who will go and check under the
carpet ;-) . And complain about a transitive super property having a sub
property that can be not transitive. That was what Andrew did, basically.

2: you propose to use broader and minimalBroader, anf have
minimalBroader computed. But if broader is also computed (which is the
case if it is transitive) then we just have computed properties, and it
is less easy to find asserted relations back.
Note by the way that I have met vocabularies for which the asserted
broader does not match your 'minimal' one. I know that these are
borderline examples. But they were introduced for UI reasons (for more
natural browsing), and as one important scenario for using SKOS to
represent KOS is navigation in concept spaces, I'd be uncomfortable with
ruling out that kind of considerations...

3. I'm afraid the formal definition of the minimal broader will not be
intuitive, and further, difficult to implement in OWL (I've not thought
about it, but it might even be impossible)... You'd have to go via a
SPARQL query: that's not an ultimate case of rejection (there are
already a few similar things in SKOS), of course, but that does not help.

I don't know if that convinces someone, but well these were my two cents.

Cheers,

Antoine