Re: [SKOS] Amsterdam topic "Semantic Relation Properties"

On 5 Oct 2007, at 12:39, Miles, AJ ((Alistair)) wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Sorry again for being too late for the meeting packet.
>
> As input to the "Semantic Relation Properties" topic, I've written
> a strawman semantics for skos:broader, skos:narrower and
> skos:related ...
>
> [1] <http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/wiki/SkosDesign/
> SemanticRelations/MinimalProposal?action=recall&rev=6>
>
> As with the other strawmen, this proposal tries to make the least
> ontological commitment, and cater for the different needs of our
> use cases.
>
> As I see it, the main decision points for this topic are:
>
>  * skos:broader is transitive? (yes/no/maybe)
>  * skos:broader is intransitive? (yes/no/maybe)
>  * skos:broader is reflexive? (yes/no/maybe)
>  * skos:broader is irreflexive? (yes/no/maybe)
>  * skos:broader cycles are an error? (yes/no/maybe)
>
> [1] answers "maybe" to all five questions, to give the most
> flexibility; everything else should not be contentious.

[[
This also means that skos:broader MAY be interpreted as a reflexive
property (every conceptual resource is broader than itself). This
would necessarily follow from asserting that rdfs:subClassOf is a sub-
property of skos:broader (see also [@@TODO SKOS+OWL Patterns]).
]]

I don't believe that this is the case. Asserting that rdf:subClassOf
is a sub-property of skos:broader doesn't mean that skos:broader is
necessarily reflexive.

	Sean

--
Sean Bechhofer