Re: [SKOS] central issues

Hi Antoine

Antoine Isaac a écrit :
>>    * Should broader/narrower link concepts of the same concept
>> scheme, or are they allowed across concept schemes?
>
> Does draft proposal I posted for mapping [1] bring an answer to your
> question? The idea would be expressing conceptual mapping across
> concept schemes trying to re-use the existing SKOS semantic
> relationships when possible ...
Good answers, but not to my question :-) .
My question is about the use of broader/narrower, not of other
relationships across concept schemes

Let me put it in a more formal way.
Is the following allowed if ex:schemeA and ex:schemeB are different?

ex:foo  skos:inScheme  ex:schemeA
ex:bar  skos:inScheme  ex:schemeB
ex:foo  skos:narrower ex:bar
>>    * If a concept belongs to several concept schemes, would it be
>> possible / does it make sense to distinguish broader-narrower
>> hierarchies in different schemes?
>
> I think this is covered by ISSUE-36 ConceptSchemeContainment
> http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/track/issues/36
Well, it's related, but not exactly covered. The original question of
Sean is not exactly that one, it aks how to assert the containment of a
relationship in a ConceptScheme. Mine is to know if an assertion using
broader-narrower has to be contained in a ConceptScheme at all; Or, it
implies that the above situation is clarified to begin with. Granted,
it's not strictly forbidden, but one would think that "a consistent set
of concepts" implies that broader-narrower are internal. This is what
one can understand by "consistent" e.g., a thesaurus which is migrated
to SKOS. Broader-narrower are internal to the Thesaurus.

BTW similar issue can be set for skos:related
>> Related question, I would like to see specified the semantics of
>> ConceptScheme, and the difference between ConceptScheme and subclass
>> of Concept.
> ???
OK. It was late last night when I wrote this. There agian, let me be
more formal.
What are the differences, both semantic and functional, between the
following modeling choices?

ex:bar      rdf:type      skos:ConceptScheme
ex: foo  skos:inScheme   ex:bar

vs

ex:bar       rdfs:subClassOf      skos:Concept
ex: foo  rdf:type   ex:bar

IOW, in which cases do I need a Concept Scheme rather than a subclass of
skos:Concept. This is one of the most obscure points of the current
spec, as far as I am concerned.

Is it clearer now?

Bernard

--