Re: Standard format for exchange of thesaurus data?

Hi Stella,

On 09/07/07, Stella Dextre Clarke <sdclarke@lukehouse.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> The
> format is to use XML but unlike SKOS it does not use RDF. (We hope,
> however, that mapping to and from SKOS will be straightforward.)

The following may be useful:

Make Your XML RDF-Friendly
http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/10/30/rdf-friendly.html

RDF can be useful in the creation of a (non-RDF) XML format, for
example by mapping the domain model to the RDF model, then simplifying
the (striped) RDF/XML serialisation. I believe exploration of a
potential RDF mapping highlighted several potential issues in the
design of the Atom (XML) syndication format.

Additionally, where a mapping exists between an XML format and an RDF
(e.g. SKOS) version of the same information, an XSLT transformation
can be constructed and GRDDL can provide automatic, on-the-fly
translation. This can be enabled for *all* documents using the format
by means of a small addition just to the XML format's namespace
document.

See:
http://www.w3.org/2004/01/rdxh/spec#ns-bind

(That's the editor's draft of GRDDL, the final version will appear at:
http://www.w3.org/TR/grddl/
and associated documents, such as the Primer can be found through:
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/grddl-wg/
)

Cheers,
Danny.