RE: Concept Equivalence, IFPs, skos:subjectIndicator and owl:sameAs (was Re: SKOS Guide and owl:sameAs)

[At Alistair's request I'm reposting this earlier response on-list]

Hello Alistair,

Thanks... as a SKOS newbie, the thread was useful to me from a learning
pov.

One thing you'll spot, if you make it to the end of the thread, is that
I missed the presense of a blank node in the skos:subjectIndicator
example in the guide. The guide presents the example only in RDF/XML
without a diagram - or real mention of the use of a blank node.

FWIW I think I came to a tentative conclusion along the following lines:

There are two (maybe more) kinds of skos:Concepts:
1) A 'localised' URI named skos:Concept that one wants to maintain as
distinct from similar concepts in other Thesaurii - because, amongst
other things, they have different pasts and futures. Even at a given
instant they may have subtle difference. In general one wouldn't use
skos:subjectIndicator with this kind of concept (because of its
potential to generate equivalences).

2) A conceptualisation of some published subject (eg. the Isaac Newton
example in the OASIS published subjects document). There could be many
published subject indicator documents for a given subject and in this
case you do indeed want skos:subjectIndicator to be an IFP and bring
about Concept merging (and an effective 'cloning' all the subject
indicators for a given subject). In general the skos:Concept whose
subject is indicated would be a blank node - this would avoid generation
of equivalences between URI named skos:Concepts (by not giving them URI
names :-).

I think that with care, those that want to use published subject
indicator can do so without generating unintended equivalences - but it
probably needs clearer motivational examples in the guide.

BR

Stuart