Re: altLabels in different langauges

Hi Mark,

Thanks for a very nicely and succinctly worded summary of the issue in your

>A possible way out is to suppose that the rusten/repose pair actually
>represents a different concept than the serenity/sereniteit pair and
>create two separate skos:Concepts for them, and assume that pref/altLabels
>of different languages in one concept are already correct translations of
>each other.

But if you do this, at least in the context of a thesaurus, then you have
to start describing concepts that are preferred (included in the thesaurus)
and concepts that are non-preferred (excluded from the thesaurus for
reasons of literary warrant, for example, which is probably why you ended
up lumping all these near synonyms together  as alt-labels for a single
concept in the first place.) So you are really no further ahead.

I agree with Susan's comment. There are things we should expect SKOS to do
well (e.g. interoperability with Semantic Web applications), and there are
things we should not expect SKOS to do (e.g. lossless transfer of
multilingual thesaurus data as in Paul's case). Wisdom may consist of
knowing what you want to do and what tools you need to do it.

Best regards,

Ron
Ron Davies
Av. Baden-Powell 1  Bte 2, 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Email:  ron(at)rondavies.be
Tel:    +32 (0)2 770 33 51
GSM:    +32 (0)484 502 393