Re: [Fwd: [PORT] SKOS planning to 31 April]

Hi

re Use Cases

You might find it helpful to see those use cases we tried to capture to
inform the development of a 'standard' thesaurus web service API:

<http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe/200311/thes/Use_cases_Thes_Service.html>

It's a very brief list & doesn't really go into technical specifics, but,
together with the API is possibly a contribution to a more generic list of
use cases for SKOS.

(other use cases were raised e.g. re skos:denotes, but I'm afraid I didn't
record the discussion I had with people at the time & haven't kept up to
date with where such debates have got to),

Thanks
Nikki

--On Thursday, February 09, 2006 10:10:01 AM +0100 Mark van Assem
<mark@cs.vu.nl> wrote:

> +1 on going for use-cases. But getting the extensions into the Guide
> would also be very nice because some of them I think will be often used
> in practical use-cases and now their status is a bit unclear.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark.
>
> Carl Mattocks wrote:
>> Al et:
>>
>> I welcome the focus on use-cases .. especially for a time-boxed effort.
>> The outcome could be quite revealing.
>>
>> carl
>> <quote who="Alistair Miles">
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> The SWBPD-WG has asked for a 3 month charter extension to finish off a
>>> couple of documents and draft a charter for subsequent activities, which
>>> would take us up to 31 April. Continued SKOS work will feature in
>>> subsequent activities, most likely as a recommendation track work item.
>>>
>>> So how could we best use the time to 31 April?
>>>
>>> One option is to plan a 3rd review and publish 3rd public working drafts
>>> of the SKOS Core Guide and SKOS Core Vocabulary Specification. If we did
>>> this, I'd suggest we don't aim to be too ambitious, but go for changes
>>> like the extensions appendix, for which we know there is an immediate
>>> demand.
>>>
>>> Note that the chairs have indicated that the current SKOS WDs are quite
>>> sufficient as input to recommendation track work, so there is no
>>> necessity for us to publish 3rd public working drafts.
>>>
>>> Another option is to begin drafting a use cases and requirements
>>> document. The fundamental requirements and use cases driving design of
>>> SKOS Core have until now been implicit, and I think it would help to
>>> focus design goals if we attempt to articulate them. This would also
>>> greatly help scoping of rec track work. OWL has a 'requirements and use
>>> cases' document [1], as does SPARQL [2] - I haven't read these yet but I
>>> plan to :)
>>>
>>> Speaking personally, I'd rather put my effort into a use cases and
>>> requirements document. I'm currently finishing off a masters course, and
>>> only have a limited amount of time to devote to SKOS over the next 3
>>> months.
>>>
>>> Whatever we decide, we can of course continue to develop and discuss the
>>> SKOS Core proposals/issues list [3].
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Al.
>>>
>>> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/webont-req/
>>> [2] http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-dawg-uc/
>>> [3] http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core/proposals
>>>

>>> --
>>> Alistair Miles
>>> Research Associate
>>> CCLRC - Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
>>> Building R1 Room 1.60
>>> Fermi Avenue
>>> Chilton
>>> Didcot
>>> Oxfordshire OX11 0QX
>>> United Kingdom
>>> Email: a.j.miles@rl.ac.uk
>>> Tel: +44 (0)1235 445440
>>>

>>> --
> [...]

NJ Rogers, Technical Researcher
(Senior Technical Developer and Coordinator of Web Futures)
Institute for Learning and Research Technology (ILRT)
Email:nikki.rogers@bristol.ac.uk
Tel: +44(0)117 9287113 (Direct)
Tel: +44(0)117 9287193 (Office)