RE: Example of coordination with DDC

I'm not sure I agree, maybe I misunderstood the above, but MARC21
classification does provide the 765 field (SYNTHESIZED NUMBER
COMPONENTS) to describe the pieces of a synthesized number.

<http://www.loc.gov/marc/classification/eccdbild.html#mrcc765>

> Editor in chief of Dewey J. Mitchell mentioned in one of her
> papers that Dewey considered this to be done in their
> database. I think they actually coded facets when
> re-designing the db in 2004.

Having just looked at the data in the Dewey editorial system, it
appears that the editors have been adding the components of a
synthesized class since at least Edition 20, circa 1996.

>> Jakob Voss wrote:
>>
>>> SKOS should be able to express DDC, UDC and CC - but it must stay
>>> simple! So what do you suggest to express CC's "U:(W)" in the next
>>> SKOS?
>>
>> I don't understand what does 'simple' mean in this case.
>
> SKOS should be able to to express the complexity of UDC and CC notations in a simple way >(without many new classes, properties, and the need of an RDF inference engine to
> handele SKOS data).

Being the person who has been looking at modeling the DDC in SKOS, I'm
not sure that SKOS directly needs to define classes and properties for
expressing the components of a synthesized class.  SKOS tries to use the
Dublin Core namespace where possible rather than duplicate functionality
in other namespaces.  To model the components of a synthesized class, I
have been using dcterms:hasPart and when I have needed to maintain the
order, use an rdf:Seq.  For example:

<dcterms:hasPart rdf:resource=Uri"/>
<dcterms:hasPart rdf:resource=Uri"/>

or

<dcterms:hasPart>
 <rdf:Seq>
  <rdf:li rdf:resource="Uri"/>
  <rdf:li rdf:resource="Uri"/>
 </rdf:Seq>
</dcterms:hasPart>

>> DDC is simple enumerative classification with largely non-expressive
>> notation which is used as text string to 'mark and park' books.

I think the Dewey editors would disagree with this statement...

Andy.

Andrew Houghton, OCLC Online Computer Library Center, Inc.
http://www.oclc.org/about/
http://www.oclc.org/research/staff/houghton.htm