RE: [PORT] new editor's working draft of SKOS Core Vocab Spec

I share the reservations expressed by Tiago and Sue Ellen Wright. My
worry is that a jack of all trades tends to be master of none. Trying to
meet everyone's objectives with one tool may reduce the effectiveness of
the tool for the core jobs it should be designed for.

In the forthcoming BS8723, a controlled vocabulary is defined as
"prescribed list of terms or headings each one having an assigned
meaning. Controlled vocabularies are designed for use in classifying or
indexing documents and for searching them."

This definition is a bit lacking, now that I look at it again, because
it does not clarify that there should be only one term (or notation)
allowed for representing one particular concept in indexing/searching -
although this principle is fundamental to the standard types of
controlled vocabulary.

Not sure if there is a standard definition for folksonomies, but so far
as I am aware they do not seek to "control" term usage in the sense of
ensuring that everyone is guided to use the same term for the same
concept. To my mind, terminologies and glossaries are a bit different
too - for example they may allow more than one term to be used for the
same concept. So my preference would be to remove all of these from the
statement of what the SKOS Core model seeks to cover. Well, I've made
this point before and failed to persuade anyone. It's a slippery slope,
in my view...

Stella

Stella Dextre Clarke
Information Consultant
Luke House, West Hendred, Wantage, Oxon, OX12 8RR, UK
Tel: 01235-833-298
Fax: 01235-863-298
SDClarke@LukeHouse.demon.co.uk