Re: notes at contepts vs notes at terms

Hi Mark,

Oh there are hundreds of examples. But because I don't work with a
thesaurus directly they are harder to dig up and it took me ten minutes to
find these...  ;-)

Scientific research
USE Research
Recherche scientifique
EM Recherche

Decorative arts
USE Fine arts
Arts décoratifs
EM Beaux arts

Medical costs
USE Health expenditure
Coûts médicaux
EM Dépenses de santé

Poultry rearing
USE Aviculture
Elevage de volaille
EMP Aviculture

I hope that helps give you the idea. Monique Bonnichon (once responsible
for Agrovoc) used to refer to single non-descriptors, i.e. non-descriptors
that DIDN'T have correspondences in other languages,  as "lonely terms"
because they had no companions in other languages to keep them company.
It's an image I've never been able to get out of my head.

As for Sue Ellen's comment, I don't have a lot of experience with
terminology applications, but I've never seen a terminology database that
used this kind of approach. But again, terminology is a different type of
application.

Ron