Re: FW: Audio labels and Symbolic Labelling

On Tue, 17 May 2005 15:47:53 +0200, Miles, AJ (Alistair)
<A.J.Miles@rl.ac.uk> wrote:

>> Audio
>> I think could be very interesting, particularly for SKOS
>> concept that is
>> close to the electronic dictionary space, eg. lexical databases such
>> as Wordnet (although SWBPD WG isn't using SKOS for Wordnet currently).
>> Where a concept is lexicalised, we could point to sound clips, or
>> Speech Synth markup (eg. see
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-speech-synthesis-20040907/)
>> ...could have
>> interesting application to accessibility, voice/mobile and perhaps
>> language learning apps...
>
> I like the idea of 'audio labels' ...  Can anyone describe a relatively
> concrete use case?

multilingual thesauri to be used by ordinary people. As well as having the
text labels, you can provide them with both a symbol and an audio cue. As
an example, I once tried to construct a thesaurus/dictionary for Yolngu
languages - a group of 31 languages collectively spoken in the north of
Ausrtralia. Most speakers are not sufficiently literate in their own
language to spell things correctly, although they can pronounce or
recognise the pronunciation. providing audio labels as a primary label
would be helpful.

For people who are dyslexic, having an audio label would also help.

For Australians trying to understand American terms, and vice versa, this
would also be a useful possibility.

Another one use case for having descriptors and then having some media
information: You can generally label things alphabetically in sign
language and people will finger spell it. For example Chaals is a common
enough written label for something that deaf people just spell out the
letters for. But describing it without sign language is seriously inferior
to using sign language for many sign-language speakers, so in this case
you need either animated graphics or video (as if they were distinct in
some absolute way :-)

cheers

Chaals

--
Charles McCathieNevile                      Fundacion Sidar
charles@sidar.org   +61 409 134 136    http://www.sidar.org