RE: SKOS to RDFS/OWL ontology mapping

Hi Bernard,

I think your paper is missing the notion of 'naming'.

[4] defines 'subject' as 'the matter of a conversation or discussion'.

Therefore a 'subject' is anything which can be *referred to*.

A 'resource' is defined at [1,2] as 'anything that might be identified by a URI'.  To me URIs are proper names [3].

Therefore a 'resource' is anything which might be named.

Therefore in the context of our discussion, 'subject' = 'resource'.  This is what the RDFTM guys are saying too, I believe.

Therefore, the assertion you make in [4] that 'resources are representations of subjects' (... or more formally, 'for all r, such that resource(r), there exists s, such that subject(s) and representationOf(r,s)' ...) is false.

We do have different conventions for making *assertions*.  But the referent (subject) of a TM assertion (i.e. association or occurrence) can be the same as the referent (subject) of an RDF assertion (i.e. triple/statement).

To talk about an OWL ontology or an RDF graph or an ER model or a topic map as a 'representation' makes no sense to me.  An OWL ontology consists of a set of assertions, just as a database or a topic map or an RDF graph does.

That's as far as I've got ... gonna go take philosophy 101 somewhere :)

Cheers,

Al.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#index
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#def-resource