Re: SKOS to RDFS/OWL ontology mapping

Miles, AJ (Alistair) wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I think we need to stay practical here and focus on the use cases (or we'll be here until the end of existence :).
>
>Danbri's original use case is something like this (Danbri please correct me if I'm wrong):
>
>Blogger A uses some category C to categorise blog items.
>
>Blogger B uses some category D to categorise blog items.
>
>Blogger's A and B realise that categories C and D are really about the same thing, and want to express that so that both their blog feeds can be harvested and sensibly merged.
>
>The inverse property pair 'skos:it' and 'skos:as' were originally proposed in response to this use case.
>
>I.e. blogger A says 'C skos:it X' and blogger B says 'D skos:it X' and they both live happily every after.

You missed out one more part. That we have some other data, expressed
in non-SKOS RDF. For example, consider X being some Person, with claims
about that Person described in FOAF and related vocabs. Or X being some
place, and lat/long info, and other geo/mapping data. Etc. Etc. In each
case,
we are gaining value (hopefully :) by binding together information expressed
in term of the thing ITself, against information associated with its
representation AS a SKOS 'concept'.

Dan