Re: Question on skos:subject domain

Leonard Will wrote:

> In message <4219BB99.9020207@hp.com> on Mon, 21 Feb 2005, Ian Dickinson
> <ian.dickinson@hp.com> wrote
>

>> I notice that skos:subject has a rdfs:domain of foaf:Document.
>> Apologies if this has been discussed before, but is there a reason for
>> this? I would have thought that resources other than documents (and
>> indeed, FOAF's particular take on what a document is) can be
>> classified by a SKOS concept.
>

> In the draft British Standard for thesaurus construction we have used
> "document" with a very broad meaning, equivalent to "information
> resource" - it is just more convenient to have one word rather than two..
>
> That definition is given in <http://www.willpowerinfo.co.uk/glossary.htm>.

That defintion of "document" is certainly very general (it includes people,
buildings etc).

Whilst foaf:Document is pretty generally I don't think it is supposed to be
quite that general. For example, it would presumably be surprising to find
something that is both a foaf:Person and a foaf:Document.

It would make sense to me to leave the domain of skos:subject undefined or
to define a skos:Document which is as general as that defined in your glossary.

Dave