Re: [Proposal][SKOS-Core] skos:denotes

Dan Brickley wrote:

> SKOS is one layer of abstraction further removed from reality than
> basic RDF,

I guess I've seen it as another modeling style in parallel to
Class/Instance modeling rather than a layer more abstract.

> If several parties use SKOS and they have a concept in their
> SKOS-expressed thesauri that stand for the person Alistair Miles, while
> other parties simply write RDF statements about Alistair directly, we'd
> imho benefit if we had some conventions for figuring out that they were
> talking about the same thing. But they're not "the same thing" in the
> conventional RDF/OWL sense, since the class Person and the class
> skos:Concept are presumably disjoint.

Ah I hadn't realize they were expected to be disjoint. I nearly wrote
earlier that it you could simply have the bNode Al-as-foaf-Person also be
an instance of skos:Concept. Then it could, for example, be directly
attached to a thesaurus without this extra level of indirection and use
owl:sameAs to indicate these correspondences.

> Maybe skos:represents would work better as a name?

Yes, possibly.

Dave