RE: [Proposal][SKOS-Core] skos:denotes

Hi Leonard,

No, this is something a bit different.  Others will be able to explain the
intention more clearly than I, but here's a brief go (I hope I don't do more
harm than good) ...

The principle motivation is to provide a bridge between two *styles* of
describing things, which collide on the semantic web.

The 'ontology style' describes things in terms of their properties (i.e.
with *logical* constructs).  For example, you can use OWL (and FOAF) to talk
about 'the Person with email address <mailto:a.j.miles@rl.ac.uk>'.

The 'thesaurus style' describes concepts by using their indicative lexical
labels, explanatory prose, and links to semantically related concepts (i.e.
with *linguistic* constructs).  For example, you can use SKOS Core to talk
about 'what I have in mind when I use the term [Alistair Miles]'.

The proposal here is to model 'the Person with email address
<mailto:a.j.miles@rl.ac.uk>' and 'what I have in mind when I use the term
[Alistair Miles]' in RDF as *separate resources*.  A special predicate (i.e.
skos:denotes or whatever) may then be used to link them.

It would be nice to have a firm philosophical basis for this proposal, but I
think the primary motivation is pragmatic (i.e. how to cope in practise with
co-existence of OWL and SKOS Core) so ... hmmm.

That's it for now.

Al.

---
Alistair Miles