RE: [Proposal][SKOS-Core] skos:denotes

To help clear things up ...

This property (whatever we end up calling it) is intended to be a bridge
between thesaurus style descriptions of things and ontology style
descriptions of things.  Others (Danbri help me out here) will be able to
give better examples than me, but here is one example:

my:conceptA		a	skos:Concept;
	skos:prefLabel	'Alistair Miles';
	skos:denotes	[	a	foaf:Person;
						foaf:mbox
<mailto:a.j.miles@rl.ac.uk>	].

It has also been suggested to have further properties like
'skos:denotesClass' and 'skos:denotesIndividual' ... what do folks think
about that?

On the subject of whether 'denotes' is the right name for this property ...
the Cambridge Advanced Learners Dictionary [1] has 'denotes' df. 'to
represent something.'  The third definition from dictionary.com [2] has
'denotes' df. 'To signify directly; refer to specifically.'

So in these senses, I think we have 'skos:denotes' the right way round,
although I agree it doesn't seem quite perfect.  All suggestions welcomed.

Al.

[1] http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=20729&dict=CALD
[2] http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=denotes

---