RE: pls keep Concepts and documents disjoint

The thing is, I agree with ...

> > However, I would suggest that the SKOS guide should be
> neutral on all this
> > allowing developers to chose the form of URI that best fits
> their needs.

... but the new SKOS Core Guide and Vocab Spec (under development) are going
to have lots of examples, and if the rest of the world is anything like me,
they won't read anything else but the examples.  So whatever style gets
chosen for the examples I'm guessing is going to get copied and pasted alot.

In the examples I prepared so far for the new vocab spec (see e.g. [1]) I
used slash style URIs ... should I change these to hashes?  It would be nice
to use a consistent style throughout, but that means making a choice.

The style ...

http://my.org/knowlegebase/chemistry/water#concept

... gets around the resolution problem neatly, but there's what Danbri said
about RDF/XML syntax, plus I reckon lot's of thesaurus people are going to
look at that and say 'what the ????'.  To use this style is a possible
compromise position for the SKOS Core examples, but I fear it's going to
raise a lot of questions and cause some confusion  ... which might be a good
thing because at least it would get people thinking about the issues ... but
then most people don't want to have to think about this kind of problem,
they just want clear recommendations ... ????

> > would make sense to have a section or appendix referring to
> the controversy
> > over use of slash v. hash so that developers are aware of
> the issues and
> > options. However, it doesn't seem appropriate for SKOS to
> mandate one
> > approach above the other given there are reasonable
> arguments and existing
> > practice on both sides.
>
> +1

+1 from me too ... and I'm hoping we can point to a note from the SWBP-WG
Vocab Management TF for this (passing the buck :)  See also [2].

Al.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core/examples/Concept.rdf.xml
[2] http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/metadata/dcmi/term-identifier-guidelines/

---