RE: candidate and deprecated concepts

Hi Stella,

> It is unusual to drop a concept altogether.
> Normally one
> provides a lead-in entry pointing to the broader concept that
> covers the
> scope of the preferred term that is now to be "deprecated".

... but this *is* to drop a concept, and say 'now use this concept instead',
surely?

> Much more likely would be to decide that that subject area should be
> indexed at a much shallower level of specificity. So, for
> example, in a
> thesaurus for agricultural products, it might be decided that tropical
> products should no longer be covered in detail. Where
> previously you had
> Bananas, Pineapples, Brazil nuts etc as preferred terms ( with a
> hierarchy of BTs such as Tropical fruits all the way up to Tropical
> products), you might leave just one term "Tropical products" to cover
> all of these. In the thesaurus you would organise entries such as
> "Bananas USE Tropical products" - perhaps hundreds of such
> entries. Now
> where is the "deprecated concept"?

The 'deprecated concepts' are all of the concepts that where previously
reified in the thesaurus by the presence of a preferred term which is no
longer preferred.

(I.e. Every preferred term in a thesaurus reifies a concept.  Non-preferred
terms expand upon and refine the meaning of a concept.  If you change a term
from preferred to non-preferred, you are essentially dropping a concept from
the thesaurus.)

> I don't warm, either, to the idea of a concept getting "replaced" by
> another one, unless they are so close that you would treat the two as
> quasi-synonymous. You are hardly going to replace Bananas with Washing
> machines?

But in the above example, you are suggesting that the concept with prefLabel
'Bananas' should be replaced (in indexing metadata) by the concept with
prefLabel 'Tropical products'.

> So the idea of a "deprecated concept" just feels a bit alien.

I am sensitive to this.  I'm just looking to find a way to model and to
represent (in RDF) at least some of the features of the change process ... I
have the idea that this information explicitly captured would be valuable.

Al.