RE: lexical relationships

Hi Stella, all,

Actually I think there are two issues here.

I think it is perfectly reasonable to include abbreviations and spelling
variants among the altLabels of a concept.

Also, I think it is entirely reasonable for people to define sub-properties
of skos:altLabel e.g. 'abbreviatedLabel' or 'spellingVariantLabel' ... the
second of these for example would allow you to include spelling variants as
labels of a concept for purposes of retrieval, and also design viewing apps
that hid the spelling variant labels from users browsing the thesaurus.

However, there is some information that is not captured by this.  For
example, if I have the concept:

<rdf:RDF>

  <skos:Concept rdf:avout="someURI">
	<skos:prefLabel>Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome</skos:prefLabel>
	<ex:acronymLabel>AIDS</ex:acronymLabel>
	<skos:altLabel>Human Immunodeficiency Virus</skos:altLabel>
	<ex:acronymLabel>HIV</ex:acronymLabel>
  </skos:Concept>

</rdf:RDF>

... I *cannot* tell from this that 'HIV' is an acronym for 'Human
Immunodeficiency Virus' and that 'AIDS' is an acronym for 'Acquired
Immunodeficiency Syndrome'.

The proposition is to capture this specific (lexical?) relationship, for
example (just brainstorming here) ...

<rdf:RDF>

  <ex:Acronym>
    <ex:normalForm>Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome</ex:normalForm>
    <ex:acronymForm>AIDS</ex:acronymForm>
  </ex:Acronym>

</rdf:RDF>

or ...

<rdf:RDF>

  <ex:SpellingVariant>
    <ex:normalForm>hemorrhaged</ex:normalForm>
    <ex:variantForm>haemorrhaged</ex:variantForm>
  </ex:SpellingVariant>

</rdf:RDF>

... don't know if I got that the right way round, but it makes the point.
N.B. also that these relationships can (??) be asserted independently of a
connection to any concepts.

Hopes that moves things along.

Al.

---