RE: working around the identity crisis

If you're going to restrict each term to being
defined by a single document, where that document
only describes one term, then why not just
have a URI for the document and URI for the term
and use conneg to relate them. E.g.

http://my.org/knowlegebase/chemistry/water      the concept
http://my.org/knowlegebase/chemistry/water.html HTML representation
http://my.org/knowlegebase/chemistry/water.rdf  RDF representation
http://my.org/knowlegebase/chemistry/water.txt  text representation
http://my.org/knowlegebase/chemistry/water.jpg  JPG representation

or

http://my.org/knowlegebase/chemistry/water            the concept
http://my.org/knowlegebase/chemistry/water/index.html HTML representation
http://my.org/knowlegebase/chemistry/water/index.rdf  RDF representation
http://my.org/knowlegebase/chemistry/water/index.txt  text representation
http://my.org/knowlegebase/chemistry/water/index.jpg  JPG representation

--

The key point here, though, is that using URIs without
fragids gives a publisher complete freedom to use whatever

When only URIs without fragids are used, clients are then
free to access representations at whatever level of resolution
is ideal for the *client*, and metadata descriptions of the
resources in question can be used to identify and access
related resources in whatever manner is ideal for the *client*.

The 'document#term' approach is like the old Biblical tales
where the father says "Sure you can marry my youngest daughter,
but only if you first marry her three older sisters..."

Forcing access to a secondary resource via a representation
of a primary resource is no different.

Personally, I would prefer a more modern, and less expensive,
approach to getting intimate with resources ;-)

Patrick