FW: Modelling 'term-to-term' relationships in SKOS

I agree with Leonard's comments below. Picking up on another point in
Alistair's earlier message, "US/UK Alts:

If distinguishing between US/UK alts is important, they could both be
represented as labels with language tags, treating US-English and
UK-English as separate languages.  E.g.

<skos:Concept>
	<skos:prefLabel xml:lang="en-US">Color</skos:prefLabel>
	<skos:prefLabel xml:lang="en-GB">Colour</skos:prefLabel>
</skos:Concept>

I suspect most of the time it will be sufficient to include US spelling
alts among the altLabels (if it is an english thesaurus), without
needing to add language tags.  This would be enough to ensure concepts
are picked up by searching yanks."

Direct immediate searching may not be the only need. If you want to use
the data to print out or present an on-screen display of the thesaurus
for human look-up, then you might want to present a British-spelt
version for UK users, an American spelt version for US users. You might
even want to give users an option to choose their dialect, just as they
might choose to display in French or German. For this purpose
undifferentiated altLabels are insufficient.
Stella

Stella Dextre Clarke
Information Consultant
Luke House, West Hendred, Wantage, Oxon, OX12 8RR, UK
Tel: 01235-833-298
Fax: 01235-863-298
SDClarke@LukeHouse.demon.co.uk