RE: SKOS & SIMILE, concepts, terms, URIs, mappings

Hi Mark,

> - how can you provide versions of an altLabel in multiple languages?
> BTW, I did discuss with Damian Steer, and he pointed out the multiple
> language problem could be solved using bNodes.

This needs careful analysis.  The effort in SKOS has been to be utterly
clear about which nodes in the graph represent a piece of meaning (concept),
and which represent lexical or symbolic labels.

So it is entirely reasonable to say something like ...

	<skos:Concept rdf:nodeID="a">
		<skos:prefLabel xml:lang="en">Cats</skos:prefLabel>
		<skos:prefLabel xml:lang="fr">Chats</skos:prefLabel>
	<skos:Concept>

... but to say something like ...

	<skos:Concept rdf:nodeID="b">
		<skos:prefLabel>
			<rdf:Description rdf:nodeID="c">
				<rdf:value xml:lang="en">Cats</rdf:value>
				<rdf:value xml:lang="fr">Chats</rdf:value>
			</rdf:Description>
		</skos:prefLabel>
	</skos:Concept>

... would break the whole model, because what does the "c" node represent?
The only reasonable interpretation is that it is a piece of meaning, because
the only thing that connects the two strings is their received meaning.  And
so we now have a concept as the value for a labelling property!!!

The correct (first) example above uses the 'multilingual labelling approach'
(see [1]), which is essentially the rough and ready way of doing
multilingual thesauri.  To be more precise about modelling these sorts of
structures, one needs to take the 'interlingual mapping approach' as in e.g.

	<skos:Concept rdf:nodeID="a">
		<skos:prefLabel xml:lang="en">Cats</skos:prefLabel>
	</skos:Concept>

	<skos:Concept rdf:nodeID="b">
		<skos:prefLabel xml:lang="fr">Chats</skos:prefLabel>
	</skos:Concept>

	<rdf:Description rdf:nodeID="a">
		<skos-map:exactMatch rdf:nodeID="b"/>
	</rdf:Description>

Note that the mapping statement does not necessarily follow from the fact
that 'chats' is the usual french translation of the english word 'cats'.  If
I added the statement ...

	<skos:Concept rdf:nodeID="a">
		<skos:altLabel xml:lang="en>Cool dudes</skos:altLabel>
	</skos:Concept>

... it would become obvious that the mapping statement is in fact entirely
incorrect - that what the "a" node actually intends is something completely
different from the concept of the furry things that purr.

Anyway, hope this helps :)

Yours,

Alistair.

---