RE: SKOS API .... are u serious? Yes we are!

Hi again,

> Bear in mind that the SKOS API has been designed as an abstract API for a
> *web service* and may not be suitable for internal representation of SKOS
> objects within a single application.

This is an issue I would be keen to discuss further. In my previous post I
said:

<snip>
For example click on 'SKOSThesaurus' at
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe/reports/thes/api/docs/
in order to view the interface for a SKOS service: the method summary lists
what we deem to be required methods - they are derived from our review of
use cases and subsequent implementation experience. For e.g:
" Concept[] 	getAllConceptRelatives(Concept concept)
          Get a list of all concept relatives."
</snip>

In the readme that comes with the download (see my previous post) I also
mention direct API access to DREFT - as opposed to web service access. And
the notion behind this is of course that we have designed the prototype so
as to separate the web service layer from the SKOS thesaurus implementation
layer. Hence the theory (or longterm goal - clearly DREFT needs continued
development) is that you should be able to ***embed*** DREFT in any
application you build (& hence not have to access it over the network as a
web service).

See the interface for a SKOS service referenced in my <snip>pet above. I
claim that there lies the total functionality you should require of an
embedded SKOS application such as DREFT. However, should the interface not
support all the use cases you have in mind, then this is valuable for us to
know - we would want to extend our list of use cases to encompass the new
ones  & DREFT would have to be extended accordingly.

I am formally off the SWAD-E SKOS project now, but the code I wrote is
still fairly fresh in my mind (& sitting on my machine still!) so I am
happy to discuss issues further, time-permitting,

thanks
Nikki

> I'm glad to see the API getting some attention, as I still hope we can as
> a community work on the further development of the API as we have done
> with SKOS Core.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Al.
>
> ---
> Alistair Miles
> Research Associate
> CCLRC - Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
> Building R1 Room 1.60
> Fermi Avenue
> Chilton
> Didcot
> Oxfordshire OX11 0QX
> United Kingdom
> Email:        a.j.miles@rl.ac.uk
> Tel: +44 (0)1235 445440

NJ Rogers, Technical Researcher
(Semantic Web Applications Developer)
Institute for Learning and Research Technology (ILRT)
Email:nikki.rogers@bristol.ac.uk
Tel: +44(0)117 9287096 (Direct)
Tel: +44(0)117 9287193 (Office)