Re: [Minutes] Publishing Community Group Meeting - Aug 10, 2022

On Wed, Aug 10, 2022 at 4:33 PM Colin Pittendrigh <
sandy.pittendrigh@gmail.com> wrote:

> RE> 750mb file size limit.  Bear with me.  I'm a retired database guy.
> Why can't epubs be text only, with resource URLs to streamed images and
> video on remote servers?
>
> When I ask this question I'm invariably told "It won't work without a wifi
> connection!"
>
> My answer is "So what?"  I'm almost never away from wifi unless I'm
> driving. And in that case I shouldn't be reading anyway.  Are you on a
> camping trip?  Read now, view video later.  Video is too big to store on a
> phone.  Video should be streamed. No matter what.

Uh, right.  EPUB's are ZIP files containing a mini-website (sort of).  They
rightfully contain HTML, CSS and Images at a minimum.

"WiFi connection"?  There are lots of low end devices that don't have
WiFi.  And, if you're talking about a smart phone, what if you're traveling
in another country and do not have local cellular service?  Or, in the USA,
there is lots of remote areas with no cellular service.

It is quite reasonable to have the option to bundle video etc ...

Several years ago Apple made a big splash about iBooks supporting
interactivity by bundling JavaScript - which I assume was using EPUBv3
features - and video.

Why should e-books be limited to simple text?  We're well into the 2000's.
According to the movies we should have had proper space ships circling
Jupiter by now.

+ David Herron