Re: EPUB Accessibility: Discovery of the Writing Direction (DRAFT 1.0)

From: MURATA <eb2mmrt@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2020 15:15:09 +0900
To: Jens Tröger <jens.troeger@light-speed.de>
Cc: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gmail.com>, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>, W3C EPUB3 Community Group <public-epub3@w3.org>, W3C Publishing Community Group <public-publishingcg@w3.org>, Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>, Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net>
Jens,

I am afraid that I did not make myself clear.  When I say
"EPUB Accessibility", I am talking about ISO/IEC 23761,
Digital Publishing — EPUB Accessibility.  An earlier
version was published by IDPF.  It is available at
http://idpf.org/epub/a11y/accessibility.html
The term “discovery” is defined there.

Regards,
Makoto

2020年12月5日(土) 15:04 Jens Tröger <jens.troeger@light-speed.de>:

> Thank you, Makoto!
>
> > 2020年12月5日(土) 6:08 Jens Tröger <jens.troeger@light-speed.de>:
> >
> >> Also, what does “discovery of writing direction” refer to:
> >>
> >>   1. discovering automatically the writing direction of content if it hasn’t been marked correctly or the publication’s metadata is missing/incorrect/incomplete; or
> >>   2. how to mark up & denote writing direction in a publication’s metadata and content so that a reading app can “discover” the text’s writing direction?
> >
> > Neither.  It is about the distribution of EPUB
> > publications rather than reading systems.
>
> Ah… “discovery” of EPUB publications with one or another writing direction from a reader/consumer/customer point of view. Got it.
>
> > Please have a look at EPUB Accessibility first.
>
> I’m quite versed with EPUB Accessibility through my work on Bookalope and it’s AI. You might find some of my blogs about that topic interesting:
>
>     https://bookalope.net/blog.html
>
> Cheers,
> Jens
>
> --