Re: EPUB Accessibility: Discovery of the Writing Direction (DRAFT 1.0)

From: MURATA <eb2mmrt@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2020 09:30:35 +0900
To: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gmail.com>, Jens Tröger <jens.troeger@light-speed.de>
Cc: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>, W3C EPUB3 Community Group <public-epub3@w3.org>, W3C Publishing Community Group <public-publishingcg@w3.org>, Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>, Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net>
> The subject of this e-mail, and the attached doc, is about discovering the writing-mode of a document.
>
> The discussion, if I understand correctly, is about changing the writing-mode of a document.
>
> Which topic are we discussing?

This thread is about discovering EPUB publications
that can be rendered using the specified writing-mode.
It is NOT about discovering the writing-mode of a given
document.  To understand the differences between
these two, please have a look at EPUB Accessibility first.

This thread is NOT about changing the writing-mode of a
document.  But it is assumed that alternate style tags
of IDPF are usable.

2020年12月5日(土) 6:08 Jens Tröger <jens.troeger@light-speed.de>:

> Also, what does “discovery of writing direction” refer to:
>
>    1. discovering automatically the writing direction of content if it hasn’t been marked correctly or the publication’s metadata is missing/incorrect/incomplete; or
>    2. how to mark up & denote writing direction in a publication’s metadata and content so that a reading app can “discover” the text’s writing direction?

Neither.  It is about the distribution of EPUB
publications rather than reading systems.  Please
have a look at EPUB Accessibility first.

Regards,
Makoto