Re: PAS submission to ISO/IEC JTC1 (was Re: [AGENDA] EPUB 3 Working Group (EPUB3WG) Teleconference - 8 December 2022)

Ivan,

> ISO submission put aside, we will have to decide whether we want to turn
> the EPUB 3.3 publication into a "living standard" or not. "Living standard"
> means the following. Once this WG runs out of its charter, we set up a
> low-key "maintenance WG", which handles errata and, possibly, looks at the
> outstanding issues (see [1] for those at the moment). The WG will have the
> possibility to make 'fast-track' updates of the EPUB 3.3 by, for example,
> handling errata but, more importantly, solving another issue listed in [1]
> and adding a new normative feature (remember the discussion we had on
> Webtoons in [2]). Fast track means that we do not have to go through a WG
> draft, it ends up "editing" an existing standard quickly. Bottom line: we
> may end up issuing a new version of EPUB 3.3 once a year, or once every 18
> months if necessary.
>
> Coming back to the original issue: Makoto, can you tell us what that would
> mean in terms of ISO? Can ISO accept such quick turnover on new versions?
> How long does it take to submit a new version of EPUB 3.3 via the PAS
> procedure? The danger is that, with a Living EPUB 3.3 standard, we would
> get out of sync with ISO very quickly, which would beat the purpose of a
> PAS submission.

I should speak with the SC34 secretariat, but here is my understanding.
If JTC1 receives a PAS submission from W3C, there will be a six-month
ballot.  I guess that an international standard will be published
seven-month
after the PAS submission.  Directives say nothing about the frequency of
submissions.  Since ISO only has to attach a cover page, I do not think
ISO will have a problem even if a PAS submission is made every year.

Regards,
Makoto

慶應義塾大学政策・メディア研究科特任教授
村田 真