From: Yuki Sekiguchi <yuki.sekiguchi@access-company.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 6, 2020 5:05 AM
To: public-epub-wg@w3.org <public-epub-wg@w3.org>
Subject: Incompatibility of -epub-text-combine's "Inherited" between EPUB 3.0 and 3.0.1

Hi,

EPUB 3.0 defines -epub-text-combine [1] as an alias of text-combine [2] whose Inherited is no.
IIUC, EPUB 3.0.1 defines -epub-text-combine [3] as an alias of text-combine-horizontal [4] whose Inherited is yes.

The latest EPUB 3.3 [5] is mostly the same as EPUB 3.0.1 except an alias of text-combine-upright [6] instead of text-combine-horizontal.

Is this intentional incompatibility?

There is an EBPAJ's sample EPUB file [7]. Although it just checks how a reading system renders an EPUB and doesn't check conformance, it is famous in Japan and most publishers use it to check reading systems. The EBPAJ's sample has a content to check this "Inherited" behaviour. Then, our customer asked us to fix EPUB 3.0's "Inherited: no".

[1]: http://idpf.org/epub/30/spec/epub30-contentdocs-20111011.html#sec-css-writing-modes
[2]: https://www.w3.org/TR/2011/WD-css3-writing-modes-20110428/#text-combine
[3]: http://idpf.org/epub/301/spec/epub-contentdocs-20140626.html#sec-css-writing-modes
[4]: https://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-css3-writing-modes-20121115/#text-combine-horizontal0