Re: EOCred: Identifying subtypes of credential

I have also heard Richard Wallis talking about library metadata saying
something along the lines of if you want to share information about books
between libraries use the appropriate library standard
{MARC,RDA,METS,MODS...}, if you want to share that information with the
rest of the world use schema.org (specifically bib.schema.org).

I would add “*.. preferably do both*”.

You cannot openly share data about a credential, or anything, and control
who consumes that data.  If a consumer is expert in the field they will
want/need the specificity of a domain specific vocabulary. Whereas in the
wider world a link to an authoritative description and some high-level
detail is all they want.  Also in the wider world consumers (eg. Search
engine crawlers) will only be looking for *Things* described using generic
vocabularies they understand — Schema.org.

In general the more consumers, and other data providers, that link to a
description the more authoritative it becomes, and the more likely it
becomes for visitors to view that description in *all* the detail used to
describe it.

The objective of our discussions, to enable description of credentials etc
using Schema.org, is to make their existence, identification(s),
authoritative descriptions, and details more generally available as
structured data on the web.

Some loss of specificity in description, as understood by experts in this
domain, is probably inevitable and should be expected.  However that should
be understood in the context that Schema.org data should be shared to
supplement the visibility (by ease of general consumption) of descriptions,
not to replace current and emerging detailed domain specific
descriptions/vocabularies.

The trick to this kind of process is to hopefully do it (defining
Schema.org needs) whilst not requiring major reengineering of domain
specific data models or, having to convince the Schema.org community to
consider new modelling patterns.

~Richard.

Richard Wallis
Founder, Data Liberate