Re: EOCred: Identifying subtypes of credential

Hello Kerri, everyone.

On 23/01/18 16:45, Kerri Lemoie wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> One gap in understanding that I have is the correlation between the
> schema and the CTDL and also, what are the consequences if they diverge?

That's a good question, one which occurs a lot in connection with
schema.org. You'll know schema.org's basic mission is about a standard
way of sharing structured data on web pages with big search engine
providers like Google (although it's also useful for other things, and
it's important to understand that schema.org is not a Google product).
CTDL was developed for the Credential Engine, to meet more specific use
cases about educational and occupational credentials and going beyond
search. Schema.org aims web-scale reach, the credential engine works
closely with partners. So the Credential Engine can ask for quite tight
conformance with CTDL based on an agreed understanding of a common aim,
but schema.org isn't really able to. schema.org does have the advantage
of breadth and reach: it can be used to describe books, videos, events,
people, and it is used globally. So courses and educational resources
from places that are not connected with the Credential Engine are being
described with schema.org.  My hope is that describing Educational and
Occupational Credentials in schema.org in a way that is compatible with
CTDL (and other relevant specs) will allow links between the Credential
Engine and these other places.

This isn't unique to Credentials. I have heard Dan Brickley say
something along the lines of whatever you domain, there will be a domain
specific vocabulary that works better for that domain than schema.org.
The strength of schema.org is in providing a simple way of linking
between these domains. I have also heard Richard Wallis talking about
library metadata saying something along the lines of if you want to
share information about books between libraries use the appropriate
library standard {MARC,RDA,METS,MODS...}, if you want to share that
information with the rest of the world use schema.org (specifically
bib.schema.org).

The consequences of EOCreds in schema.org and CTDL diverging depends on
the degree of divergence, but they include loss of specificity in the
data, and increased difficulty in publishing CTDL data in schema.org.
The former of those is often an unavoidable consequence of going from a
specification for a partnership to one with global reach. It is one of
the aims of schema.org to avoid the second of those consequences, even
at the expense of making the data more difficult to handle for consumers.

> While both the schema and the CTDL serve the purpose of finding
> credentials it would seem that both are also useful referentially for
> issued credentials. For instance, I am proposing to Credentials
> Community Group that a property be added to assertions to reference
> credentials in the registry.

That sounds great.

> I do think that the CredentialType and the subclasses in the CTDL are
> tremendously useful properties that not only make it possible to seek
> opportunities related to credential types button also compare
> verifiable credentials post issuance. For instance, being able to
> compare efficacy of online courses with badges or a series of courses
> to degrees.

Again, I agree, with the caveat that here in Scotland a similar use case
would be to compare academic and occupational careers after HND, HNC,
Highers, Advanced Highers and A-levels, so in that case CTDL wouldn't work.

> With that in mind, (although curious about the divergence question), I
> definitely think we minimally need a CredentialType and while I agree
> that it would be onerous and take too long to compile an exhaustive
> list now, I prefer option three (DefinedTerm) with possibly an
> adaptable reference list to encourage consistency.
>
> Thanks,

Thank you. I hope I answered your questions and didn't just rehash
things you has already considered.

Phil

--

Phil Barker <http://people.pjjk.net/phil>. http://people.pjjk.net/phil
PJJK Limited <https://www.pjjk.co.uk>: technology to enhance learning;

PJJK Limited is registered in Scotland as a private limited company,
number SC569282.
CETIS is a co-operative limited liability partnership, registered in
England number OC399090