Re: EOCred: Addressing requirements from use cases

Would an acceptable justification for putting EducationalOccupationalCredential under Creative Work be the fact that there simply isn’t a better home? For what it’s worth, just looking through the Schema.org hierarchy, nothing popped out as a viable alternative. Maybe Intangible?

Bob

> [...]
> Richard, I think that if Course can be a CreativeWork, a case can be made for EducationalOccupationalCredential being one.  They are undeniably 'works' that require at least a 'modicum of creativity'.
>
> If we look at the class extension (subtypes) of CreativeWork <http://schema.org/CreativeWork>, there are no apparent controlling attributes that I can see to guide what should be in (or out). So, arguments that EducationalOccupationalCredential "is" or "isn't" are probably equally rudderless. But, if the following subtypes passed muster as CreativeWorks, I wish someone would fill me in on the common characteristics of the class that made it possible:
> Comment
> Question
> Menu
> Message
> Dataset
>
> I had a recent proposal for a new subtype of CreativeWork, using similar justification, knocked back in the Schema.org Github in this way:
> “ No, we really can’t make TouristTrip a subclass of CreativeWork … that
> would be way way too much of a hack.
> Lets add more domain/ranges to the relevant properties.”
>
> I am not saying we would get the same response but we need good justification for such a proposal.
>
> ~Richard.
>
> Richard Wallis
> Founder, Data Liberate
> http://dataliberate.com <http://dataliberate.com/>
> Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/richardwallis <http://www.linkedin.com/in/richardwallis>
> Twitter: @rjw
>
> On 9 January 2018 at 10:15, Bob Dolan <bob@diverselearnersconsulting.com <mailto:bob@diverselearnersconsulting.com>> wrote:
> Listing the requirements for each use case is very helpful. Using schema.org/CreativeWork <http://schema.org/CreativeWork> makes sense to me.
>
> Bob
> Bob Dolan, Ph.D. | Principal
> bob@diverselearnersconsulting.com <mailto:bob@diverselearnersconsulting.com>
> www.diverselearnersconsulting.com <http://www.diverselearnersconsulting.com/>
> 413.367.6199 <tel:(413)%20367-6199>
>  <http://www.diverselearnersconsulting.com/>
>
>> On Jan 9, 2018, at 4:21 AM, Phil Barker <phil.barker@pjjk.co.uk <mailto:phil.barker@pjjk.co.uk>> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Ryan, yes hooking into an existing schema.org <http://schema.org/> type can minimize the number of new properties that are required. Don't worry about Course having an educationalCredentialAwarded property being a distraction: I think that we will be connecting to that when we get further down the list of use cases.
>>
>> Phil
>>
>> On 08/01/18 20:50, Ryan Price wrote:
>>> I think this makes a lot of sense, to extend CreativeWork.
>>>
>>> For example, when CreativeWork is extended to Course, you only add 4 properties:

>>> coursePrerequisites
>>> educationalCredentialAwarded (oops, maybe I picked a bad example, since this mentions Credential. Don’t get distracted by this property!)