Re: EOCred: Identify the level of a credential

Comments in line

On 16/02/18 15:32, Fritz Ray wrote:
> Here goes!
>
> I think it is useful.
> I got no better name than educationalLevel.
>
> I can't think of a good second sentence. Here's a candidate for the
> first one:
>
> A string, term or URL indicating the position(?) of the credential in
> a set of levels, ranking or scale provided by an educational framework.

Thanks Fritz. Tricky thing is that definition doesn't really say what
the "set levels, ranking or scale" relate to. But it's a start. Perhaps
it's obvious. That certainly wouldn't be the vaguest definition in
schema.org :)

> ----
>
> Just checking my understanding against SCQF, it appears to be:
>
>   * A ranked set of levels, whereon each is subsumed by the higher.
>   * Formal, not informal, in that it doesn't leave its interpretation
>     to the reader.
>   * General, not specific, in that while it outlines requirements, it
>     does not specify objects that meet those requirements.

Yep.

> I would identify these as 'label' or 'tag' levels where they assist in
> describing a credential (and ultimately the capabilities of the
> credential awardee) by outlining requirements and showing equivalence
> to other levels (such as Higher Ed Degree Levels).
Yes, I think so. In practice, it kind of works the other way round,
Higher Ed degree levels such as Ordinary Degree, Honours Degree,
Masters, Doctorate are defined by being at a certain SCQF levels. This
is related to a thing called the Bologna process which is part of making
sure that a university degree from Scotland can be considered equivalent
to a university degree from Germany.

> I would say that they are factors in 'accomplishment', but as they are
> levels outside of the definition of any particular credential, they do
> not fit 'level of accomplishment' by themselves.

not sure about this... they may levels of accomplishment they just don't
say what the accomplishment is in?

> In subtle contrast, if a College granted certificates at these
> specific levels, such as "SCQF Level 5 Financial Management", then
> each credential corresponding to the various levels offered *would* be
> 'levels of accomplishment' because each certificate specifies the
> objects that meet those requirements. This credential would also have
> educationalLevel include http://scqf.org.uk/level/5.
>
> Note that the subtle contrast remains if the college granted just
> "Level 5 Financial Management" -- in that case the link to the SCQF
> framework would drop off, but the college would continue to offer
> 'levels of accomplishment' in that area.
...and by here I think something is definitely wrong. To pick a close
match to your example, the Accounting NC Course at Edinburgh College
<http://www.edinburghcollege.ac.uk/courses/Business,-Finance-and-Legal-Services/Accounting%20NC/TH1NCACF18>
is stated by them to be at SCQF Level 5, and the Credential awarded to
those who are successful is the SQA National
<https://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/58062.3806.html> Level 5 Qualification for
Accouting

> Levels of performance don't come into play it appears for SCQF or EQF.
Correct. That's a separate issue.

Phil