Re: EOCred: Identify the level of a credential

On 08/02/18 17:38, Stuart Sutton wrote:
> In an earlier message in this thread, I suggested that this 'level'
> property could be thought of as a characteristic of the audience for
> the credential. In that sense it aligns with schema.org/audience
> <http://schema.org/audience> when the aspect of audience is
> constrained to the education/training/experience level for which the
> credential is intended or useful. That's the approach the CTDL took
> with its audienceLevelType
> <http://credreg.net/ctdl/terms#audienceLevelType> property and
> accompanying AudienceLevel <http://purl.org/ctdl/terms/AudienceLevel>
> skos vocabulary (latter perhaps a bit US-centric).

That name seems a bit tricky given the way audience is used in
schema.org, and the way credentials are intended for people who acquire
them and people like employers who wish some form of assurance about the
abilities of those people. Who is the audience for your Driver's License?

I think given previous discussions we would want to take 'Type' off of
'audienceLevelType'?

We might just be left with 'level' as a name, though that seems a little
bare.  Whatever it is called, I think it would be equivalent in intent
with the CTDL:audienceLevelType.

In Europe established practice is to align educational/occupational
credentials with the educational level associated with the learning
outcomes required to earn them, much as you would align Courses or
learning resources to an educational level. For example, there are the
levels of the European Qualifications Framework
<http://ecahe.eu/w/index.php/European_Qualifications_Framework#The_levels_in_the_EQF>,
also the SCQF levels descriptors
<http://scqf.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/SCQF-Level-Descriptors-WEB-Aug-2015.pdf>
(pdf) [somewhere I think there is a mapping from SCQF to EQF, so that
people from Italy know what level a Scottish HND is].