Re: [CrisisCommons] solving the privacy issue for online person data in emergencies

Hey All,

I wanted to give a few points of reference to privacy issues for online
personal data during emergencies.

First of all, I'm not sure what Erik Hersman's quote is referring to, but I
do know that when the International Committee of the Red Cross stands-up
their Family Links online system for a particular disaster the information
is online and searchable, though they do have a number of barriers in place
to stop the stealing of people's information (
http://familylinks.icrc.org/en/Pages/online-tracing.aspx ) Though of course
there are some situations where the information is too sensitive or the
consequences might be too steep to publish people's information online, in
this case they have a number of systems they use, though not all are pen
and paper.

Earlier this year Fordham Law School published a report titled "Privacy and
Missing Persons after Natural Disasters" which can be found here:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/136520439/Privacy-and-Missing-Persons-after-Natural-Disasters

As a note, I have been working with various groups that deal with online
missing persons over at the MPCI (
http://wiki.crisiscommons.eu/wiki/Missing_Persons) for a few years now and
privacy is a big topic and will always be one.

Cheers,
Tim

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 5:04 AM, Paola Di Maio <paola.dimaio@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Glad to hear about the cooperation taking place among various
teams/groups!
> (hemant I think I said thanks  for planning to attend online seminar on
the other list, right? - look forward to hear all about it)

> with reference to the red cross not wanting their data online
>

> Erik Hersman <ehersman@gmail.com> Sep 24 09:20PM +0300
>
> The Red Cross doesn't want any of the people's information online, so
they refused to use anything but pen and paper.  Some techies here created
an app for it that sat on the local computer,