Re: repository or emergency open data

Carsten

glad you think it's a good idea

> I think something along the lines of the CKAN LOD group
> (http://datahub.io/group/lodcloud) would already do the job as a first
> shot.

er, well, sorry
CKAN doesn't work 'for me' in the sense that I  don't consider it clean
enough  :-)
it's not reliable implementation imho

had issues with the way the software is funded/built/managed initially and
have stayed away from it since as much as possible for various technical
and non technical reasons . I am not comfortable using depending on relying
on ckan , but that's me -

> Or were you thinking of a search engine index that would allow
> actual searches across the different datasets?

absolutely -  what I am thinking is more of an index of datasets , rather
than a repository per se
where the pubblisher takes responsibility for storing and maitaing the
data, the index just
indexes it and points to the URL with some metadata

maybe with some 'depositing' facility  of some versions, but with a static
repository, the problem is
versioning,

while the nature of the data is that is always changing, getting updated

in emergency, most data changes by the minute for the duration of the event

so I presume an initial brainstorm as what are the data modelling/retrieval
requirements for these
open emergency datasets  may have to be done

how to structure the resource,  in the most flexible way with the least
possible effort

could also encourage people to start posting and reusing them

I tend to follow a minimalist approach, even just a map of the URLs could
be useful.

but as you suggest,  we should think  to get these data to work together,
for example
one should be able to build an app to cross query , for sure

would be nice to generate  maps showing in real time numbers of who has
received  aid and who hasnt yet for example
if we aim for these, the requirements for the index/repo could be different

what do you think?

PDM