Re: Request for Help: US Government Linked Data

I was very happy to see the discussion on the referenced LD
thread<https://github.com/project-open-data/project-open-data.github.io/pull/21>
happen,
as was everyone I talked to about it, on both sides of the issue, both in
and out of government. There are some really great comments there, and it's
going to be a useful discussion to build from.

My (completely personal, unofficial) request of the LD community, as
Project Open Data and its discussion threads grow, is to avoid a general
"summoning of the troops" to this stuff.

Most of the people on that thread, on either side of the LD issue, have
experience producing or working with government data, and that's where
their points of view are coming from. I really value that kind of
interaction. Rallying people who just believe in LD or hate LD as a matter
of principle, regardless of context, is not going to be constructive, and
is going to lead some people to tune out of those discussions.

One of the things that was made obvious to me by that thread is how
painfully easy it is for people who very much have the same awesome shared
end goals in mind - more useful government data - to talk past each other.
That only gets easier when comments get more emotional, and gauging one's
success during a debate becomes a matter of quantity rather than quality.

As I said, I really valued the thread we had - and most especially, I love
what POD is doing, and I think the US and Github are going to have a
profound impact on how the world views policy making in the long run. The
POD project is going to be looked at by governments around the world, and
they're going to evaluate POD based on the quality of those discussions
(not the outcomes).

It's going to be great to having more of those discussions with everyone
here, both about LD (and things other than LD!). There's a ton of unblazed
trails here, and I'm just so excited to see where they go.

-- Eric

--
@konklone <http://twitter.com/konklone> | konklone.com |
sunlightfoundation.com | awesomefoundation.org