RE: Classification of open datasets...

Phil, thanks for thinking of me but I wouldn't put StratML in the same
category as code lists.

The core elements of the StratML standard include:  <Mission>, <Vision>,
<Value>s, <Goal>s, <Objective>s, <Stakeholder>s, and <Organization> (i.e.,
the organization compiling the plan).
http://xml.fido.gov/stratml/index.htm#Part1

StratML Part 2, Performance Plans and Reports, adds the concepts of
stakeholder <Role>s and <PerformanceIndicator>s.
http://xml.fido.gov/stratml/index.htm#Part2

Part 3 will specify additional elements to more fully address the data
requirements set forth for U.S. federal agencies in the GPRA Modernization
Act (GPRAMA).  http://xml.fido.gov/stratml/references/PL111-532StratML.htm &
http://xml.fido.gov/stratml/index.htm#Part3

Part 3 will also enable the use of taxonomies (&/or keywords) to categorize
goals, objectives, performance indicators, and stakeholders, and it may be
appropriate to use code lists for those taxonomies. StratML users,
applications, and services will be free to use whichever taxonomies they
choose.  Over time, standard practices may emerge as to which taxonomies are
preferred for particular purposes by specialized communities of practice.
However, machine-intelligence can also be applied to assist with the
cross-walks.

Although GPRAMA is a key focus for Part 3, we aim to specify all parts of
the StratML standard generically enough to be applicable not just to all
agencies at all levels of government, worldwide, but also to all
organizations.  While the content will be different, we believe the core
elements of strategic and performance plans and reports are (or should be)
common to all organizations of all types.

To the degree we may miss that mark, we will have failed to meet our
objective.  However, "extensible" is XML's first name, and if the standard
gains traction, we plan to factor additional enhancements into it in the
years ahead, based upon input and feedback from users.

BTW, the StratML glossary, which is in modified SKOS format, includes the
alternate terms (including English and some Russian and Farsi) identified
thus far for the StratML element names.  See, for example,
http://xml.fido.gov/stratml/draft/StratMLGlossary.xml#Goal

The schema and stylesheet for the glossary are available, respectively, at
http://xml.fido.gov/stratml/draft/StratMLGlossary.xsd &
http://xml.fido.gov/stratml/draft/StratMLGlossary.xsl If anyone would like
to have a copy of the InfoPath form I use to maintain the content of the
StratML glossary, I'll be happy to share it (but InfoPath is required to use
it).

Owen Ambur
Chair, AIIM StratML Committee
Co-Chair Emeritus, xml.gov CoP
Communications/Membership Director, FIRM
Former Project Manager, ET.gov
Invited Expert, W3C eGov IG