Re: Classification of open datasets...

Hi Peter,

You've kicked off a lot of discussion - did you get a satisfactory answer?

I've been thinking about a closely related topic recently - what
controlled vocabularies do people find most useful and how can we find
out? In Europe, in some circles, we think of Eurovoc, or AgroVoc - which
are fine but may be seen as very Euro-centric. Owen Ambur points (not
unnaturally) to what he sees in the StratML world which, so far, is
largely US-centric.

The NACE codes - that describe company activity - are based on the UN's
ISIC codes and it all gets turned into a country-specific set known as
SIC codes here in UK. What on Earth is a data publisher to do?

I don't think there is a single answer. Creating a global "everyone
should use this central list of enumerated terms" list is the way
forward. *However* it does seem entirely reasonable to me for a data
consumer or service operator to say "this is the data I understand,
please use controlled vocab lists A, B or C if you want me to understand
you." And, in similar vain maybe, something like: "you're free to use
any of skos:prefLabel, rdfs:label and dcterms:title but in *my*
application I treat them all the same."

WDYT?

Phil.

--