Semantic Interoperability

Several points:

1. The "dumb strings" are smarter than the techies think.  When a Top Level Domain=skos:TopConcept=dct:identifier [dct:URI]  is joined to a "Profile" such as language or the appointment of a Domain Naming Authority.  Problematic, from the view of "eGovernment" is that this Outer Join (language) or Inner Join (Domain Naming Authority) always have the same effect - creating a proxy Community - which does not inherit the profile of it's parent unless it is linked to the existing Government Authority.  This is a purely technical problem so subtle that techies don't get it:  When the Romania (a ccTLD) publishes a Web Site in English it is for external consumption and the EU (a gTLD)  does not "create" a proxy Germany, or UK.  If half the population of the UK thinks of Europe as a foreign land (your example), then semantics makes a guess at which half - an answer in search of a question.

2. Proxy Communities may be "created" at any level, but always one level below their parent.
3. Those responsible for Domain Security have known this for a long time, but are not in the business of education[1].  Or as Upton Sinclair put it (SPARQLers, cover your ears) "It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!".
4. A Generic Top Level Domain (gTLD) is not a Sovereign in the traditional sense, but Governments have an inflexible hierarchy.  Neither Government nor Industry, nor the data itself needs to "do anything" to fix this.  The problem is an unintended side effect of the engineering.  The Rosetta Stone* was language translation aid and Squanto* was a language interpreter capable of learning new terms.
5. This scheme has no effect at all on ADMS, for reasons explained below.  In fact, the "Assets" it describes are limited to learned behavior (bibliograph) and currency
6. The EU Membership, UN Membership, WIPO
Membership and UN/CLOS (Law of the Sea) Signatories are peer groups
(gTLD's, if you will), but none include all Countries.

[2] is a visualization of eGov on a Cartesian Grid.  The "horizontals" are a profile, a list of properties (CURIE) representing an Average Citizen and the cash in their pocket.  Obviously, this changes second to second, and it makes a very lousy profile, but it is never null, and that's the point.  A broke, mute refugee can be counted.  The "verticals" are a list of eGov web page languages (Terminology Languages).  Every Community page has to have one, including the proxies.

There are 676 possible ISO Codes. The table has 901 members, includes some subdivisions and some codes which do not correspond to Countries (the Inner Join-Outer Join problem with profiles).

There are up to 3 hyperlinks in each row (for each sequence) .
Column: Community -> Government Website (The name of the Community is an alias)

Column: CommunityLink -> Country or Region (LOC ID Servers)
Column: TerminologyLink -> Terminology Language or LOC Subject Heading (LOC ID Servers)
In addition, the CommunityIDLink Column gives a federalized hypertext link eGov Alias.  To fill out the subdivisions to the State, Local, Regional and Tribal levels is a task that can be automated, once the Community Proxies which arise from coding and domain sponsorship technical issues (joins) have been identified.

Example #1 Western Sahara was "created" by having an ISO 3166code (EH seq. 179) although it has no link to Government, UN Membership, etc..
Example #2 Ascension Island is (seq. 3) "created" by having a Domain Sponsor, even though the code is out-dated.  It belongs to St. Helena (which in turn belongs to the UK).
Example #3 Penguins are well-dressed *and* speak the four terminology languages of Antarctica, created by the Domain Sponsor and the UN.
Example #4 Kosovo (seq. 826,827,828) is not recognized by anybody but the EU and me.  I gave them one of the user defined ISO Codes and the EU gave them a web page in three languages.

--Gannon

[*] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosetta_Stone http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squanto
[1] http://www.rustprivacy.org/2012/cctld/CURIE.xhtml
[2] http://www.rustprivacy.org/2012/cctld/CURIE2.xhtml